" Improving Skyrim Sound For Under US$200" by Rogdonlp

 

IMPROVING SKYRIM SOUND FOR UNDER US$200


     Since the days when I was playing DOOM, Quake, Hexen, etc. I did not give much thought to the quality of the sound coming from the game.  I mean, when you are taking down a Baron of Hell with a chainsaw does the sound even matter?  When I purchased a new computer, I would install a 5.1 sound card and connect the sound card to a cheap 5.1 speaker system.  That was how I played for many years.  In my home theater I had installed a fancier (read more expensive) 5.1 system. A few years back my wife started saying that she did not appreciated the sound of 200 zombies being dismembered by a chain saw while she was cooking dinner.  Not wanting to sleep on the sofa I quickly bought a pair of US$150 headphones and dismantled the 5.1 home theater speakers.  Of course, going from 5.1 surround sound to 2.0 stereo, was not the same theater experience.  I could have the volume cranked up louder without disturbing the wife, but I kept missing the sound of those jets flying low to the ground, passing behind my head with afterburners screaming.  Fortunately, a friend loaned me a little device called HeaDSPeaker from the Finnish company DSPeaker.  
     The device plugged into the audio system between the source of the sound signal and the headphones.  The device created a synthetic surround sound using software.  It also had a mechanism to keep the sound centered on the TV screen even as you turned your head away from the screen.  With other headphones, either those with no surround sound or those with synthetic surround sound, as you moved your head to the right the sound would also rotate to the right.  I was really enjoying the new surround sound system and my wife was also very happy with the lack of screams and explosions.

     The success with headphones in my home theater system made me start thinking about the 5.1 system I had for my gaming computer.  Unlike many other computer games, the Bethesda Fallout and Elder Scroll games do not provide 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.  These Bethesda games only output a 2.0 stereo signal.  While many people think that 2.0 stereo is adequate for the Bethesda games, when I tried my headphones in place of the 5.1 speaker system, I found the 2.0 sound to be lacking.  With standard 2.0 headphones I can’t always locate the bad guy/creature that was sneaking up on me from behind.  Some people say that they do not have this problem with standard 2.0 headphones.  Well, I and a number of other players do have this problem.  If you want a little more information of what is behind you as well as wanting a more expansive sound stage, going to surround sound is the solution.  In the past this meant buying a motherboard that would export a DTS or a similar signal that contained 5.1 or 7.1 sound.  Of course, a DTS capable motherboard would not help us Skyrim players because there is no 5.1 or 7.1 sound information contained in the Skyrim sound files.  So, in order to have surround sound in Skyrim you would need to buy and install a sound card that would create a synthetic 5.1. or 7.1 signal and also have the 5.1 or 7.1 speakers and amplifier(s) installed.  Or, you could install a Skyrim mod that uses HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function).  HRTF, in its many different forms, has been developed for audiophile headphone users so that they can hear their music as surround sound instead of the music coming from the center of their head.  As Skyrim gamers, we do not have to buy this expensive software.  Instead we can get it for free:  True 3D Sound for Headphones mod 79879 for LE and 1879 for SE.  This, of course, assumes you are using headphones for your gaming rather than speakers.  The HRTF software only works with headphones.

     So, I took my US$150 headphones to my gaming room (aka guest bedroom), disconnected the 5.1 system, installed the True 3D Sound mod and plugged in my headphones.  The difference in the quality of the sound between the headphones and the 5.1 speaker system was quite dramatic.  Of course, I should not have been surprised.  The sound reflections from the speakers of the 5.1 system were bouncing all over the small room and as a consequence the sound was muddy and indistinct.  Also, I am sure that the quality of the two small drivers in the headphones were far superior to the drivers used in the 5.1 system speakers.  Problem solved or was it.

     I was really enjoying the much-improved sound that the headphones had brought to my Skyrim game.  However, there was a little voice in the back of my mind telling me that the sound could be better.  Buy better headphones, buy a headphone amplifier, buy, buy, buy….  The temptation became too great.  I had to experiment to see if I could make the highs shriek a little less and the low notes be more forceful and better defined - for hundreds of dollars rather than the thousands of dollars that audiophile headphone gear costs. 

     My first purchase was a Shiit Audio Vali -  a US$119 headphone amplifier.  It was a small device with vacuum tubes hidden under the metal case which could drive headphones of low to medium impedance.  I bought this because the reviews at the time said it was quite a bargain in that it gave great sound for little money and that the Vali sounded a bit sweeter and richer than US$79 Shiit Audio all electronic Magni.  With the Vali installed the sound did improve significantly over the sound from the amp chips mounted on the motherboard.  The highs were more extended on the top and the bass was more authoritative.  I used the Vali for almost three years, then it died - I assume a non-replaceable vacuum tube burned out.  I then purchased the Shiit Audio Vali 2 which has a 1 inch (2.54cm) tall vacuum tube sticking out of the top.  The tube is replaceable and several other tube variants can be substituted if you are what is known in audiophile circles as a tube-roller.

     The Vali 2 was slightly warmer in sound than the Vali and due to it having a higher power output, the sound had more body, more heft to it.  The sound was very nice and I knew better headphones would make it sound even more enjoyable.  I broke down and bought, on sale, a new set of headphones, Sennheiser HD 598 SE, which are currently listed on Amazon for US$320.  I was correct.  Better headphones made the sound clearer and more precise.

     I was very happy with my Vali 2 and the Sennheiser when the devil reappeared.  I had dropped by a friend’s house to give him some audio gear that I no longer used.  As I was leaving, he handed me a Little Dot MkII headphone amplifier that he said he no longer needed.  The Little Dot MKlI sells on Amazon for US$165.  It is a true two channel amplifier (not two channels sharing the same vacuum tube) with a large (heavy) transform, a pair of driver tubes and a pair of power tubes.  All of the tubes can be replaced and you can roll your own if you suffer from audio nervosa.  The unit is made in China and comes with Chinese vacuum tubes.  The power tubes sound pretty good.  If you use headphones with higher impedance you can put in other tubes that produce more power and also sound a little better.  The Chinese driver tubes sound a little shrill on the highs.  I replaced the Chinese driver tubes with General Electric JAN (mil-spec) 5654W tubes for US$23.  The shrillness disappeared and I am now in computer audio heaven.

     If you are willing to spend US$150 for a pair of headphones and install the free True 3D sound mod you can significantly improve the sound in your game.  For additional sums of money, you can keep improving the sound.  But as in all things, sound quality is ruled by the law of diminishing returns - spending 25% more will not improve the sound quality by 25%.

     For advice on which headphones to buy look on the web.  There are thousands of headphone reviews in all price categories.  Likewise, there are thousands of reviews on headphone amps on the web which cover the cheap as well as the expensive.  Be aware that headphones and headphone amps made especially for gamers are sold at much higher profit margins since selling bling to gamers is sort of like shooting fish in a barrel.  Some of the favorably reviewed headphones and headphone amps can also be bought as either factory refurbished or used.  Again, the web is your friend.

Enjoy

Rogdonlp

Comments

Leave it to chance!