Test : Direct X 9 Windows 10 Fall creators update 1709




 - Direct X 9 Windows 10 update 1709 -

The test for Skyrim

Hi,

The new update "Windows 10 Fall creators" version 1709 is finally available. Today.

The download is automatic in your Windows 10 or you can simply download the update manually here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(413723decab3b20977f375d0ef10da0e)(152407)(1806294)(66960X1514734X5b34d81a61e9b59eeeacf0d75a17a86a)() 

It's better to download the update in your native language. So, do another search in your own language.
The update is heavy and long. It takes some time. Do some coffee or tea....with chocolate biscuits or cookies.


So, as you know, this update removes the "famous" 4GB limitation memory on DirectX 9 games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically, does it work?
Answer : Yes

Proof:

Before the update

After the update
To know how many video memory is available on your computer (like in my images), you simply need this small program made by Boris...the creator of ENB binaries. It's called Vramsizetest. Extract the file and use the VramsizeDX9 to calculate your own DX9 (logical!).But, i'm sure everybody know that 😎
http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm

To apply this new memory in your skyrim, you need to change your ENBlocal.ini.
My new memory is 16224 according to VramsizetestDX9.
16224 - 170 = 16054
(minus 170..always) 

So, I use 16054 as my new VideomemorysizeMB in my ENBlocal.ini

So, my new ENBlocal.ini is: (MEMORY only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the test, my friend!!! 
The test has been done with RUDY ENB NLA and binaries 0.315 with all settings MAX. The ENB is just a little bit personalized and "marmottified".
I use Nexus Mod Manager (40%) and manual install (60%). 
My computer is "middle class" (not potato but not highend computer...just between)
My skyrim is not the most modded skyrim on earth but it's is really heavy on textures and highly detailled on everything. My game is 100% retextured on all (mainly 2K and 4K).
I'll make it short. I know all performances of my game with the 4GB limitation. So, i can give you a real feedback of this update. The true reality. A real before/after.

FPS:
Well, let's be honest. There are no improvements on FPS. Not a single one. According to the Vramtestsize, my video memory is 4 times better now ( 4064 ⇛ 16224). However , there are no changes on FPS. I have the exact same fps as before in every places.

Stutterings:
The improvement is here. This new memory removes all stutterings. That's amazing, really. You can turn your head from left to right very quickly in every places, there are no stutterings. In forests, in cities, during combats, stutterings simply disappear.

Stutterings create small pauses and small pauses create small fps drops. So, stutterings are removed, you don't lose anymore these little fps due to stutterings. Fps are more regular/ more constant just because the game is more balanced.

This allows you to increase your ENB quality and some of your textures.
That's the best improvement of this update. 

Loading screens:
That's better.......shorter. They are simply divised by 2. So, that's great.
In all cases, loading screens are always linked to the content of your data file.
More meshes, more textures.........in one word, more you have, longer are your loading screens. It's a rule for Skyrim.

Cells:
A real improvement too. All cells appear smoothly now...naturaly. You don't feel or see the loading. For those who have "small pauses" during cells loading, this should be removed. 
In my case, i remember a place in my game with a lot of trees and with light source and water too. Before, I had a small pause in the game (to load the cell and everything). Now, it's just ultra-smooth...no pause, no stuttering. That's perfection. And believe me, this cell is very heavy and full of details.

CTD:
I didn't have one. I tried to reach the memory limit to crash the game, but no crashes. So, it's simply safer now. However, before the update , my Skyrim was already very stable. So, personnaly, no changes for me (in 1440p or in 2160p).

General feeling:
Very good. FPS don't change but the game is more supple and flexible. Stutterings are gone, so you don't have anymore this sensation of weakness sometimes, even with a big GPU. The update makes sense.
If you still have stutterings, that means you must decrease the quality of your ENB or/and of your textures. Stutterings mean you're asking "too much work" to your GPU.
To remove stutterings, maybe your have too much new assets around your character (new trees, new ennemies, too much lods, new spawns, 4K textures ......). So, that's maybe the moment to clean and to adapt your GPU to your Skyrim.
In all cases, be reassured, all GPUs (even very powerful graphic card) loses FPS with a lot of mods.

Conclusion:
You can increase a little bit more the quality of your game and you have a great improvement for your gameplay.
However, i recommend you to keep a reserve about mods. Do not install mods anywhere without any sense. Continue to build cleanly and patiently your Skyrim. This is the best solution to obtain a clean game. If you have a doubt about one mod or if a mod have a tendency to crash your game, remove the mod, put it in the trash can and use another one.
Chose carefully your mods, your textures, your meshes and your game will continue to work perfectly.
This update doesn't repair a broken Skyrim of course. CTD due to a bad installation or incompatibilities will be always here.


Thank you 

MARMOTTE

Comments

  1. It's wonderful to have a "real user" test ! And this Skyrim blog is very nice and useful ! Thank you Marmotte for all your efforts !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want my blog a little bit more "human" compare to others. I's important for me. I'm not a machine.
      I'm a player as you, as everybody :)
      I like images but i like to write some texts to "humanized" this place. I like to share some of my experiences too.
      I'm glad you feel it. So, i can continue to write texts with my incredible english!

      Thank you

      Delete
    2. Thank you for letting us know that this is now available and that it makes a difference. I hate to give Microsoft money, but if my game will run smoother it is worth it.

      Delete
    3. Thank youi very much!:) - Thrawa

      Delete
    4. Cool, merci beaucoup pour l'info :)

      Delete
    5. Thank you everybody.
      @ Roger : It is worth it.You can download safely this update. Windows 10 works very good in my opinio and it's very safe.
      For Skyrim users, it's welcome and the improvement is really a pleasure. And you game is simply more performant.
      Thank you for your message Roger

      @Thrawa
      Thanks Thrawa A pleasure to share my experience as usual. I'm waitng this update snce a long time, so i needed to do a small article about it. Glad you like it.

      @Oxybubulle
      Merci Bulle. J'ai vu peu de personnes en discuter. Un petit article était donc nécessaire. Et puis c'est un moment important je trouve. Ce n'est pas anodin. Je sais aussi que certaines personnes ont besoin d'une explication nette et précise, ce que j'essaye de faire avec mon anglais de dingue :)

      Delete
    6. Plus I would like to thank you for your advice, which improved my quality of screenshot! - Thrawa

      Delete
  2. Hello, your blog is very informative. Been playing skyrim for years, googling this, googling that, but I didn't know this. Sadly, I am still on windows 8.1 and don't have much intention of upgrading lol

    Aside from that, keep up the fine work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicholas.

      Glad you like the blog and all its aspects.
      I would like to write more informative articles, but I miss a bit some time.
      And the heart of the blog (UUNP showcase) take already a huge amount of time.

      Well, stay connected for new informative articles.

      Thanks

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave it to chance!